If you’re looking to ramp up your style for Prom, Homecoming or another special party, why not add a headband? We’ve found headband styles of all different types—Kate Middleton style fascinators, vintage steampunk hair wraps plus a few cute headbands just for fun—and they’re all DIY! We’ve scattered tutorials in between the styles to boost your confidence and have listed the basic supplies you’ll need to create each look. Here’s to Prom headband creativity!
Calling All Kate Middleton Fans: Wear a Fascinator!
- For this one, you’ll need: A small hat circle (ask your fabric store), a regular headband, a silk flower, a decorative sprig, and either paper ribbon or palm strips
- This one calls for: A headband, wide fabric ribbon for a bow and one fanciful feather sprig.
Add a Veil—that does not look like a bride!
1st Tutorial Break: Headband + Hot Glue + Flower = Fabulous!
- Find the full tutorial here: Source
Here’s a different type of fascinator:
- It uses an alligator clip, but you can use the same steps like the one above and attach everything to a piece of felt.
Wearing a Bun? Add a Bow!
- Just glue on your favorite bow—either pre-made or DIY
Check out this Pinterest search for loads of ideas and DIY tutorials including no-sew bows : https://www.pinterest.com/explore/make-hair-bows/?lp=true
- You’ll need: 1 stretchy headband, a bit of veil if you wish, and a trip to your craft store’s vintage-look supply department.
- Tip: You also might find a detailed brooch like this in a vintage shop or flea market so all you need is the headband!
Lovely Lacy Sparkle
- You’ll need: Wedding netting, ribbon, one rhinestone strand and one brooch—or—a couple of inches of by-the-yard rhinestone edging.
- All you need: A headband, a package of decorative feathers from the craft store, and a gentle craft glue.
- How-to: Simply fan the feathers any way you like and glue them on.
- Tip to make assembly even easier: Some craft and fabric stores have feather accents ready-made!
- You’ll need: A headband, jewel, bead or sequin applique, silk flower, and a small decorative button.
For this one, you’ll need: A headband, a fabric bow, and curly feathers.
For Disney Fans:
These look more elaborate, but under each one, we’ve included the tutorial—they are nowhere near as complicated as they seem!
Crown yourself Prom Queen!
- Cool idea: If you’re on the committee, make these to match your Prom theme colors and use them for the Court.
Once you know how to DIY the wire—the sky’s the limit!
- Get the wire ears tutorial here: Source
- And here’s a video tutorial: Source
Solid Floral Minnie Ears
- Fun idea: Make these to match your corsage. Just pick silk flowers like the ones your date will give you—or wear this instead of a corsage—or DIY a silk corsage to match the ears!
- Click the link below the photo for a pictorial tutorial:
For more DIY Minnie ear headband variations, check out this Pinterest search: Source
No Assembly Required!
- Just choose: One wide and two narrow glitzy elastic headbands and place them in a row.
Last but not Least…
Dance Party Sparkle: Disco Ball Headband!
Make one for yourself or get together with your BFFs and sport these glittery beauties when the dancing really gets going. Then keep it around because what could be more perfect for New Year’s Eve?!
- You’ll need: A sturdy headband, super glue or hot glue, and small mirror balls.
- Here’s the tutorial:
Too cute not to include:
Glamorous Reindeer Headband!
- Easy How-to: Just use the same method as the wire ears above but shape the wire into an antler outline.
For more fun and creative Prom accessory ideas, check out these fantastic corsages: Sparkle Prom Blog
And our DIY hairstyle guides. Choose one to accommodate and complement your headband: Sparkle Prom Blog