If you’ve read our Prom Skin Prep primer Prom Skin Prep Part 1: Must-Do Skin Care Routine for Prom Night & All Year ‘Round, you’ll already know all of the basics for beautiful skin. Now we’ll share the perfect exfoliation routine for your precious facial skin.
How to Know What to Do & When:
We’ve included this wonderful little calendar once more for your convenience. Print this out and keep it in your bathroom so that you don’t do too much or do a step too often.
There are 2 huge rules when it comes to exfoliating your skin safely:
- Be super gentle
- Don’t exfoliate too often
Here’s the sequence for pro-level facial exfoliation:
- Pull your hair back completely off your face using whatever you need. (Clips, ponytail holder, headband for bangs, etc.)
- Soak a clean washcloth in very warm water—but not super-hot—then wring out the excess.
- Important: You want “hot enough” water, but if it’s too hot for your hands, it’s way too hot for your face!
- Place the washcloth over your face and leave it in place 1 or 2 minutes to open your pores.
- Alternative #1: Take a shower and then stand in the steam for a few minutes.
- Alternative #2: Fill a bowl with water just hot enough to create steam, drape a towel over your head, and let the steam open your pores
- Now wash your face gently with your usual cleanser and leave your skin a little bit wet.
- Next, take a small amount of your exfoliating scrub and use 2 fingers only to gently rub small circles all over your face. Do this for no more than 1-2 minutes.
- Rinse all the scrub off your face with warm water making sure to get all the little pieces off.
- Next splash your face with cold water—this will help close your pores.
- Pat your face dry with a clean towel or a clean, dry washcloth—do not rub.
- Finally, finish up with moisturizer—or serum if it’s been recommended to you by a professional—and let it dry naturally.
- Caution! Never exfoliate if you have any open cuts or wounds, sunburn, or a fever blister.
- Also remember: Do not exfoliate more than 2 times per week—unless you’re under professional care and they tell you differently.
For sure you’ll want to read the 1st blog in our 2-part Prom Skin Prep and for our fabulous skincare program, look up both of these blogs:
Also, check out our tips for how to get gorgeous hands that will really show off your pretty Prom manicure:
Perfect Prom Manicures Start with Perfectly Pampered Hands
For gorgeous up to the minute manicure ideas for Prom and other special days, check this out: